Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Singh is King

Dear Dr. Manmohan Singh,

Congratulations for being able to do what you believed was right. Your academic background leaves no doubt that you are an eminent scholar and expectedly you have contributed extremely well as an economist at different national and international positions. But as you yourself admit, you are a politician by accident; I did not have much hope from you as a PM, apart from being free from corruption.

But please accept my hearty congratulations for fighting the lonely battle and at the end convincing your party and allies (barring left) to back you on the Indo-US nuclear deal. I am quite sure that had it been any other Indian politician in your place, s/he could never dare to stake the govt for this (at the time of record inflation and resurrecting opposition). Not that I am happy about the performance of your govt in the last 4 years. I think it was quite pathetic. But this time I am convinced that no one else could have done this. The soft spoken man in turban had the last laugh. I am surprised that media is not highlighting this brave effort of yours. Now, even if your govt falls, you won hearts. Singh is King.

Yours Sincerely,
Sushil Upadhyay

No comments: