Monday, October 15, 2007

NRI

My idea about NRIs was, since they live out of their motherland, they would be very nostalgic about their country of origin. I used to think that the urge for money was the only strong reason for the several lakhs of NRIs to live in the prosperous countries, and they all would like to return to their motherland someday. Alas! I was so wrong. Here I would talk about the NRIs in Detroit USA, which perhaps can be generalized.

I got to attend the marriage ceremony of one of my relative’s daughter. They are settled here in Detroit since the last 40 year. On this occasion I met many NRI families and talked to them about their views and emotions for India. I will now share my inferences:

The 1st generation of NRI has an identity problem. Though he is settled here since many years, he is still at least 40 % Indian. How do I know it? Talk to some Bengali, Bihari, Tamil guy. You will notice the very unique accent of the place of their birth.
Not only the accent, the thought and behavior is also very much the same. E.g. In India we know the typical characteristics of a Bihari, a Tamilian and so on. From behavior of a 1st generation NRI, one can know in which part of India was he born and brought up. So I conclude, the 1st generation NRI has a divided identity, he may be an American among Indians but he is Indian among Americans.

The second generation who were born and brought up in USA, are no at all NRIs. I am sad that the govt of India tries to give duel citizenship to these people. They may be called Rahul or Vineeta or Surabhi or anything meaning something in Hindi. But nothing else is “Indian” in them. I request the people and govt of India, please do not call the kids of NRIs as NRIs. They are not.

PS: These are general observations and as always, there will be exceptions, but not many I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NRIs:

You are a very expressive and good writer. Most educated people in India can not express their point ( they get too wrapped up in the floweriness of the language and miss the point). You are an exception.

However,I must try to remove some of your misconceptions about Indians in America. It is natural to misjudge a group of Indians in USA who have lived here for most of their productive lives, you on the other hand spent only few months and formed a superficial opinion.This you have every right to do however premature it may be.

On your IDENTITY subject.. let me correct you that we are not 40% Indian, we are 80% Indian who have worked hard in a strange environment and have been successful by all measures. The matter of accent is true for people living in India, a Bihari is still a Bihari, and Punjabi is still a Punjabi no matter where he lives in the world. It is a matter of pride and not a shame that we have retained our individualism, our culture and still balanced to make proper adjustments to be successful.

Our children who were born and raised here are more Indian at HEART than most Indian young ones.Perhaps, living in UP you did not notice their attitude, behaviors and departure from the traditional Indian way of life. Now that you are in a major and growing metropolis, please pay attention to the younger generation. They have become more materialistic, ill- behaved and full of arrogance. They have quickly embraced the bad side of the western culture in their language, Discos, Fast Food, Fashion and their dis- respect for their elders.I am proud that my children have struck the right balance of Indian values(more important)and ethical assets of America. This is because we are 80% Indian and we brought up our children accordingly.

How do I know this? I see in kids in my own traditional family, who imitate to be FORWARD by swearing, foul talk and by their show offs. I brought 4 of my younger brothers children to USA. They lived with me for three years and their style shocked not only me but my own children ( born here). Now that these kids are settled, they have no contacts with us. Like they say in Hindi GANJERI YAAR KISKEY, DUUM LAGAYA AUR KHISKEY. The younger generation in India has become very selfish and self centered. Of course there are many exceptions and I am sure you are one of them.

Sushil, I am sure you found at least something to admire during your stay here. There must be a few, otherwise why is this nation a desired destination for millions of people from all over the world including Japan, Britain, Germany, France and Oh India too. If you need a more concrete proof, please go to the American Embassy on any workday morning and see the crowd standing in line for hours requesting Visa for USA.

It is easy for an Indian to be an Indian here than being a Bihari living in Bengal, Kerala etc. The regional prejudice in India is more severe than it is here.

You are incorrect in saying that your observations could be generalized. Living here for three months and forming such a strong opinion is hasty and premature.

PS: If you did not find any thing American to admire, please let me know and I will send you a list for you to mull over.

With most sincere blessings.