Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Changing Mood…..

The other day I was feeling irritated and sad about something which was totally beyond my control. When I think in this direction, I find there are millions of things which are not happening the way it should happen, and most of them are beyond my control. I can not make those things happen the ideal way. And a cloud of gloom shadows my mind.

But after some time, I see somebody laughing, I see a pretty lady (my wife) smiling, a cute little kid playing, birds friendly playing and chirping. All these events mock my intelligence and understanding of life. I see the birds, playing, singing and flying. They don’t even know whether they will get enough food tomorrow or not. Still they are happy. At least my food is fixed for a couple of months (presuming my company will give me at least 2 months notice before ditching me).

After a little introspection, I am happy again. Planning for an exciting future, expressing my heart through writing, watching a good movie, cracking jokes, playing with my friends…..and all this transforms my mind from a gloomy bundle to an energy pack.

I feel this is a cycle of mood. From happy to neutral to dull to sad to happy again. This happens with everybody. Only frequency of this change of mood and duration of each state varies. We can stay happy for longer time by reading good books, watching good movies, spending quality time with friends and/or partner, playing like kids, singing, painting, dancing, playing on musical instruments, blogging ….whatever suits the individual. This will make life very light and simple.

For every task I do, I ask this question to myself, “Am I doing it because of some compulsion or because I am interested to do it?” The percentage of time I spend with a happy mood is directly proportional to the percentage of interesting works I do.So, mood changes, but the frequency of change can be well controlled.

No comments: